Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme Increases Awareness and Sensitize the Masses on Gender Equality
Out of 640 Districts Covered Under BBBP 422 Districts Show Improvement in SRB
Gross Enrolment Ratio of Girls at Secondary Level Improves from 77.45 to 81.32
Posted On: 23 JAN 2021 , Delhi
The Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme, launched by the Hon’ble Prime Minister on 22nd January, 2015 at Panipat in Haryanawith the objective of bringing behavioural change in the society towards birth and rights of a girl child, has resulted in increased awareness and sensitization of the masses regarding prevalence of gender bias and role of community in eradicating it. During the last 6 years the Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) has improved by 16 points from 918 in 2014-15 to 934 in 2019-20. Gross Enrolment Ratio of girls in the schools at secondary level has improved from 77.45 to 81.32.
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao : Achievements so far
During the last 6 years since its inception, the BBBP scheme has been aiming at changing the mindset of the public to acknowledge the rights of the girl child. The scheme has resulted in increased awareness and sensitization of the masses regarding prevalence of gender bias and role of community in eradicating it. It has raised concerns around the issue of declining CSR in India. As a result of collective consciousness of the people supporting the campaign, BBBP has found its place in public discourse.
Progress in terms of monitorable targets:
i. Sex Ratio at Birth:
- Promising trends of improvement in Sex Ratio at Birth (SRB) have been observed at National level. SRB has improved by 16 points from 918 (2014-15) to 934 (2019-20), as per the HMIS data of MoH&FW.
- Out of 640 districts covered under BBBP 422 districts have shown improvement in SRB from 2014-15 to 2018-2019.
- Some Districts which had very low SRB in 2014-15 have shown huge improvement after implementation of the Scheme such as Mau (Uttar Pradesh) from 694 (2014-15) to 951 (2019-20), Karnal (Haryana) from 758 (2014-15) to 898 (2019-20), Mahendergarh (Haryana) from 791 (2014-15) to 919 (2019-20), Rewari (Haryana) from 803 (2014-15) to 924 (2019-20), and Patiala (Punjab) from 847 (2014-15) to 933 (2019-20),
- Health :
- Percentage of 1st Trimester ANC Registration has shown an improving trend from 61% in 2014-15 to 71% in 2019-20 ( As per HMIS, MoH&FW).
- Percentage of Institutional Deliveries has shown an improving trend from 87% in 2014-15 to 94% in 2019-20 ( As per HMIS, MoH&FW).
- Education :
- Gross Enrolment Ratio of girls in the schools at secondary level has improved from 77.45 (2014-15) to 81.32 (2018-19-provisional figures) as per UDISE-data.
- Percentage of schools with functional separate toilets for girls has shown improvement from 92.1% in 2014-15 to 95.1% in 2018-19 (2018-19 provisional figure, as per UDISE-data )
- The BBBP scheme has been able to bring the focus on important issue of female infanticide, lack of education amongst girls and deprivation of their rights on a life cycle continuum.The scheme has successfully engaged with Community to defy the age old biases against the girl child and introduce innovative practices to celebrate the girl child.
- The BBBP logo has been much appreciated and accepted by people. People are using the BBBP logo on their own volition at various places such as school buses, building, stationeries, transport vehicles etc. to affirm their commitment to the cause. Logo has also been mentioned in popular Indian festivals i.e. Lohri, KalashYatra, Rakhi, Ganesh Chaturdashipandal, festival of flowers etc.
The frontline government employees have been successfully collaborating at the level of community for observing the son centric rituals while celebrating the birth of girl child i.e. Kuwapoojan, Thalibajana etc. Now mothers and girl child are being felicitated at community level and in hospitals by Administration to establish the relevance of the girl child. BetiJanmotsav is one of the key programme celebrated in each district.